Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Hammie FAVORITE!

When I was thinking of starting this blog, I was brainstorming through my list of family favorites trying to think, 'What would be the first recipe I should post on this blog?"

After much thought (a good 5 minutes at least!) about it, I decided to delegate the task to Jon.  He said based on what I've been making lately, his very most favorite is VODKA PASTA!

Followers of my family blog, may remember that I had already posted this recipe before when Jon and I decided to have a date night in.

It is one of our very favorite dishes to eat and I absolutely LOVE making it. Something about making the sauce from scratch (mostly)....and the smell of it as it simmers.....the aroma of the fresh basil....not to mention it has VODKA in it! 

I've made it so many times since that blog post that I can pretty much make it from memory now. It is SUCH an easy dish and I really recommend everyone try and make it.

The only thing I can say that would make this dish better would to be to let it SIT for a while. Let all that delish vodka cream sauce soak into those noodles....Mmmmmm......You won't be able to just have one serving! Trust me on this one.

Now, onto the recipe. Giving credit where credit is due; I got this off of the Food Network website, courtesy of Rachel Ray.


Photo courtesy of Jon Hamrick.

"You won't be single" for long Vodka Cream Pasta 
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 cup vodka
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
  • Coarse salt and pepper
  • 16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
  • Crusty bread, for passing

Directions

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.
Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.

 Hope you all love it as much as we do!




6 comments:

  1. Looks great and one I might even make! But darn, I wanted those cookies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Stacy--you've inspired me to do two things: One-open that beer I was thinking about having and Two--trying this recipe. I think I might even be able to make this! Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out!
    Love the tag line too:)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tagline Stacy! and it sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! I want this, but can you make it for me and AWESOME tag line!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm all over that like lime in a rita! Girl, I'm telling you - we could get into real trouble ....
    The blood orange & chocolate rum mousse I made in school would make a kicker girls night. Big no-no as far as following the rules, but I got an A.
    .. then came the zabaione.

    Love the new blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete